Southbury is a town of approximately 19,000 residents. It is about 40 square miles in area and is midway between Danbury and Waterbury on Interstate 84. It is in New Haven County, 18 miles from New Haven, 41 miles from Hartford, and 83 miles from New York City. The town is bounded on the west by the Housatonic River, with Lake Zoar and Lake Lillinonah, and the Pomperaug River runs through the town. Southbury offers plenty of New England charm and a wonderful quality of life.
Founded in 1673 by religious dissenters from Stratford, the town originally was known as the Pomperaug Plantation. Its main street was once an old Pomperaug Indian trail and many of the town's first homes were built on the road. In 1787, Southbury was incorporated as a town.
Bullet Hill School, which celebrated its bicentennial in 1989 and still stands on Main Street North, is one of the oldest school buildings in the U.S. It was used until 1942 and is now maintained by the town and the Southbury Historical Society. Its name is believed to have been derived from a hill where bullets were cast for guns during the Revolutionary War.
Southbury has a traditional New England town-meeting form of government and functions under a Town Charter, revised in 2003. The executive authority rests in a six member Board of Selectmen, with financial control shared with a Board of Finance. Numerous boards and commissions are made up of volunteers, some of whom are elected while others are appointed. These commissions determine town policy in areas of planning, zoning, inland wetlands, economic development, conservation, and parks and recreation.
Read the Letter from The First Selectman:
- Ballantine Park - Tennis courts, basketball court, volleyball area, bocce court, large outdoor swimming pool, children's play area, and picnic pavilion.
- Cedarland Park - Picnic tables, children's play equipment, and a basketball court.
- Community Park - Softball, baseball, soccer, and football fields; tennis courts; a basketball court; and open fields.
- Conservation George Bennett Park - Trout fishing, picnic area, and benches along the river
- Ewald Park - Baseball and soccer fields, walking and fitness track, and access to the Pomperaug River.
- Gordon Schielke Park - Undeveloped parcel is the site of the Town Tree Nursery.
- Hidden Pond Park - Fishing and hiking. Electric motorized boats permitted.
- Janie Pierce Park - 100 acres of scenic woodlands. There are natural trails, benches, and picnic areas overlooking the pond. Hiking, canoeing, fishing, and picnicking. Grills are provided for cookouts.
- Lakeside Park - Picnic tables, a recently renovated children's play area, volleyball court, and horseshoe pits.
- Platt Park - Hiking and cross-country skiing.
- Seman Park - Soccer fields and undeveloped natural areas.
- Town Beach and Lake Zoar - Swimming, boating, picnic facilities, children's play area, volleyball court, and horseshoe pits.
- Settlers Park - Baseball, softball, and soccer fields; running track; hiking trails; playground; concert stage; and garden.
- Town Boat Launch - Located on Lake Lillinonah. Paved ramp and dock for boat launching.
Places of Worship
- Calvary Fellowship Church - 134 Main St. South, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-267-5441
- Christ the Savior Orthodox Church 1070 Roxbury Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-267-1330
- The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints 1021 Roxbury Rd., Southbury CT 06488 Tel: 203-262-8210 or 203-264-4208
- Church of the Epiphany - 262 Main St. North, Southbury CT 06488 Tel: 203-262-8150
- The Community Chapel Worship services at Pomperaug High School Tel: 203-264-1045
- Congregation B'nai Chaim - 444 Main St. North, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-267-3394
- First Church of Christ, Scientist- 27 Roxbury Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-262-1944
- Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church - 910 Main St. South, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-5071
- Southbury Baptist Church - 114 Roxbury Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-2407
- South Britain Congregational Church - South Britain Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-5890
- St. James Lutheran Church - 111 Peter Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-6448
- United Church of Christ - 283 Main St. North, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-8807
Health Care / Senior Services
- Southbury Senior Center- 501 Main St. South, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-262-0651
- Southbury Social Services - 501 Main St. South, Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-262-0647
- Across from the Green Main St. South
- Bennett Square Main St. South
- Playhouse Corner Main St. North
- Southbury Green Main St. South
- Southbury Plaza Main St. North
- Union Square Mall Main St. South
- Crowne Plaza - 1284 Strongtown Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-598-7600
- Heritage Hotel & Spa - 522 Heritage Rd., Southbury, CT 06488 Tel: 203-264-8200